Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Foray to Massachusetts #1: Downtown Boston Chocolate Walking Tour

I spent Thanksgiving weekend in Boston, where I visited a lot of chocolate venues-- some of them old favorites, some new delights. I did not take photos at all of them. I also did not eat things at all of them. Only because I did not pace myself well, so I got too full for more chocolate. Poor life planning.

Anyway, I'm offering you here a more complete Boston Chocolate Walking Tour. Pace yourself better than me, and do your best to make it to all of these places. I promise it's worth it.

Here is a map of all of them, because I am technologically adept:


View Chocolate NYC Boston Walking Tour in a larger map

Start at your furthest point north and east: the North End, near the Haymarket T stop. First stop is Mike's Pastry (300 Hanover Street, Boston, MA 02113), the most famous place in Boston to buy cannoli. They have so many cannoli flavors here. Like chocolate mousse! Chocolate Ricotta! Other chocolate flavors!

The North End is known for its food, so you're not done here yet. Next visit Cocoanuts (28 Parmenter Street, Boston, MA 02113). This place is beautifully curated, and they carry so many delicious options, including some of my favorites (Liddabit Sweets and Asher's), as well as brands I'd never even heard of before (like Zoe's). I met one of the owners, and she is clearly a woman who knows and loves her chocolate. I would like to go back here and buy one of everything, please and thank you.

Photos of Cocoanuts, for your salivation:




Next cross the Greenway to get to Quincy Marketplace, a historical Boston shopping area where you can find the historical Boston Chipyard (257 Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston, MA). The Chipyard was founded in 1976. It is a Boston institution. (That's right, it was sounded on America's bicentennial year. Coincidence? Okay, yes, probably.)

The Chipyard makes small, chewy cookies in flavors like "banana chocolate chip" and "oatmeal raisin chocolate chip" and "double chocolate." I would say more about this place, except I didn't buy any cookies, because they wouldn't sell me just one-- they only sell them in bags of a half-dozen-- and frankly I was already full from my first stops on this walking tour. I disapprove of that policy.


Now walk even further west, to Beacon Hill, where you will find the appropriately-named Beacon Hill Chocolates (91 Charles Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114). This is another very high-quality chocolate shop. I could have spent all day and $300 dollars in here. Thank God, I did not.

Also in Beacon Hill is a branch of J. P. Licks (150 Charles Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114), one of my all-time favorite Boston ice cream brands. THEY HAVE SO MANY FLAVORS. Special flavors for this month include options like, "Chocolate Peppermint Sorbet - Sinfully rich chocolate sorbet refreshed with mint and chunks of peppermint candy." I can't, guys. I just can't.

Now walk a little south and a little further west, so you're heading down Newbury Street, Boston's premier shopping street. (Think 5th Ave., only calmer and classier, because it's New England.) Your first stop off Newbury is L. A. Burdick (220 Clarendon Street, Boston, MA). L. A. Burdick now has a store in NYC, so you can trust that they will get a more complete review one of these days, but for now let me just say that their shtick is offering a half dozen single-origin hot chocolates, which are exactly as good as they sound.

Next stop on Newbury Street is the Hotel Chocolat (137 Newbury Street, Boston, MA). This place has a very sleek, European feel. And they offer free samples sometimes. And they have one chocolate tasting box, and I don't know what is in it, but it costs $230.



Your last stop is ice cream: Emack and Bolio (290 Newbury Street, Boston, MA). Their website tagline says "ice cream for the connoisseur," and if that's not me, then frankly I don't know what is. I love Emack and Bolio ice cream; always have. They now have a branch in NYC, so again you can expect a full review some point soon. Not to give it away, but: it's going to be a positive one.

And that's it! The best of downtown Boston in one amazing afternoon.

Did I miss any of your favorite spots? Let me know! I'd love to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment