Friday, October 19, 2012

Levain Bakery

Whenever I say to a New Yorker, “I have discovered my favorite cookie in New York,” they say, “It’s Levain, right?”

Levain Bakery makes the best cookies in New York. Possibly in America. There is broad consensus about this. They have four and a half stars on Yelp, with 1662 ratings.

They sell exactly four types of cookies, every day. Your options are as follows:


“Four dollars?” you might be saying. “For a single cookie?”

No. Four dollars for your LIFE TO CHANGE.

These cookies each weigh six ounces. They are the size of a kitten. But don’t eat a kitten, please—they are not chocolate. Eat one of these cookies instead.


So far I’ve tried the chocolate chip walnut and the dark chocolate chocolate chip. I don’t know which I prefer. They are both amazingly dense and moist, and somehow the chocolate chips in them always stay melty, even if it’s two days later, and you are still working your way through six ounces of cookie. I can’t think of any parallels to Levain cookies. They make me want to go to the Upper West Side. I didn’t think that was possible.

BOTTOM LINE: Possibly the best chocolate chip cookie in New York City.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I've never forced you to eat the DT Works double-chocolate cookie. I basically agree with everything you wrote, but the DT Works one is an even better and more extreme version of the same style. Let's make a field trip sometime!

    ReplyDelete