Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ion Galaktos

I am making a prediction: this will be the best-titled post this blog will ever have.

Anyways, so I was in Fresco for the fortieth time since I posted about them last week, and they had a bunch of Greek chocolates and candies.  I picked the one that involved the least amount of stuff-that-isn't-chocolate, the Ion Galaktos (translation supplied by my Official Greek Friend Jason).

if you do not speak greek, you will not know that this is science chocolate from ouuutterrr spaaaace


Now Leila and I both agree that dark chocolate is superior to milk chocolate, but I think I have a softer spot in my heart for the stuff, as my grandmother used to bring me amazing bars of Lindt milk chocolate whenever she would arrive from Europe.

But there are two types of milk chocolate:  Serious Milk Chocolate and candy.  This is candy.  I could tell that as soon as I bit in.  But I had never scientifically determined what makes the difference.  Until now.  Dun dun dunnnnnnnn.

i imagine each ion must have alternating charge in order to get the bar to hold together so well... *snort snort*
It even looks like candy

The ingredients in this are good.  Most Candy Milk Chocolate has corn syrup or other junk; this does not.  There is just one thing out of place:  chocolate, sugar, soy lecithin, and vanillin.  Catch it?  I need more data, but the difference between vanilla (the real stuff) and vanillin (the flavoring) may be more important than I had suspected.

I do want to make something clear, though.  I am a chocolate purist, but I am not really a chocolate snob.  I love Candy Milk Chocolate.  I may prefer Serious Milk Chocolate (and of course I prefer dark chocolate), but Candy Milk Chocolate is better than non-chocolate candy any day.  And this is about as good as Candy Milk Chocolate gets.  I am not quite ready to answer Leila's question for myself, but if you are looking for some good candy, this would be a nice place to start.

Bottom Line: Really good candy.  Not to be compared with a bar of dark chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment