Monday, October 8, 2012

Pittsfield Rye

Pittsfield Rye, a Massachusetts bakery, makes, among other breads, a loaf called Death By Chocolate. This bread is baked with dark cocoa and chocolate chunks. Possibly the best part is that it's bread, not cake, and therefore it can be eaten any time of day, not just for dessert.

You may be wondering whether you will actually die from Death by Chocolate bread. No. You will not. Again, it's bread, not cake, so it can't be as chocolatey as cake is. But for a potentially-breakfast product, it is impressively chocolatey.

I bought a loaf of Death by Chocolate at the Massachusetts State House at the Big E last September. I toasted and ate many slices of this bread, to my great delight.

But two slices I saved in my freezer. I wanted to French toast them. I anticipated that Death by Chocolate French toast would be a really, really good idea.

The problem was, I didn't have time to make French toast for breakfast. For an entire thirteen months. (I'm busy.)

This weekend, I decided, "This is it! This is the day to French toast my chocolate bread!"


How did it taste, you might be wondering. After all this build-up, was it amazing?

No. But that is totally not the fault of the bread, and instead because I had frozen it for thirteen months, did not defrost it whatsoever before French toasting it, and then burned it because I didn't put enough butter in the pan. I still believe this could have been delicious if I had made better decisions. I will clearly need to buy another loaf and try again.

BOTTOM LINE: This bread provides an excellent opportunity for including chocolate in your breakfast. Just don't be a terrible cook, and you will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment