Friday, March 7, 2014

Champ's

Champ's is a vegan diner and bakery in Williamsburg (that has recently opened a smaller counter in Greenpoint).  They serve healthy vegan options like these chocolate chip pancakes:



Honestly, they were some of the best vegan pancakes I'd ever had.  Vegan pancakes are often dry, but these weren't -- perhaps the chocolate chips helped?  I mean, chocolate chips usually help.

Even the chocolate milkshake was good, even if one would not mistake it for the real thing:


Chocolatiest was the cheesecake brownie.  I usually oppose vegan cheesecake.  I usually oppose combining chocolate and cheesecake.  But apparently if you combine chocolate AND cheesecake AND vegan, you get something great!


Bottom Line: A rare example of a place with great food AND great dessert.  Anything at Champ's would make a nice meal even if you're not vegan, but it is truly special if you are.

2 comments:

  1. I hate all cheesecakes. It's weird because I like cheese and I like cakes. Anyway, maybe a vegan cheesecake would actually be better for me, since it can't use actual cheese products?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love NY cheesecake but not Italian cheesecake. But I would eat cream cheese with a spoon if it were just a little more socially acceptable.

    ReplyDelete