Friday, August 30, 2013

Recipe: Blended Chocolate Frappuccino

As you may know, I have a disproportionate fondness for Starbucks Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino". One day, as I was paying $5 for one of those bad boys, it occurred to me, "Hey, I could make this!"

Is that true? Read on. I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Here were my ingredients:

1) ice
2) milk
3) chocolate chips (I used a bag of Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet)

4) chocolate sauce (I used Dilettante Dark Chocolate Truffle Topping, which my friend Kendra gave me for my birthday and which I love)


I put some arbitrary quantity of each of these in the blender, and I drank the final product. It looked like this:



The taste was very similar to Starbucks'. I was pleased. It was cold and chocolatey and refreshing and not too milky.

The texture gave me some trouble. There were sips that tasted just like they ought to (a little crunch of chocolate chip, a little crunch of ice, and a lot of fluid). But there were also huge clumps of unblended ice at the bottom and for the life of me I could not figure out how to make them blend. Was there too much milk in the blender with them? Too little milk? I'm sure there are basic rules to using kitchen appliances that would make this really easy to figure out, but I am not very handy in a kitchen. Maybe you have already figured this out.

BOTTOM LINE: An excellent chocolate beverage for a warm summer's day. If you make it, and you figure out how to work a blender, please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment