Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sugar Bowl in Scottsdale, Arizona

I went to Arizona for the first time in my life, and I stayed than 24 hours. Fortunately, I can find ice cream in less than 24 hours.

Sugar Bowl is in Scottsdale, and it was founded in 1958, as perhaps you can see below.



It's an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, with everything done up in pink. Eloise would love it here. I loved it here! Sugar Bowl has been featured many times in "Family Circus," which makes sense; it harkens back to a simpler era, just as that comic strip does.



The menu consisted of big sundaes and parfaits. Nothing pretentious or Brooklyn about this place. You know I love my Brooklyn, but sometimes I also just love a big heaping mound of ice cream with various sauces and creams poured all over it.



This is what I got. It was a parfait with a scoop of chocolate, a scoop of mint chocolate chip, mint-chocolate sauce, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles on top. This was not the most intensely creamy, flavorful, whatever ice cream I've ever had, and yet it was everything I wanted. With a cherry on top. The NYC ice cream parlor that I was most reminded of was Eddie's, in Queens.



We each got our own ice cream so nobody had to share. That is my dream come true.



BOTTOM LINE: Located near Phoenix, Arizona, this 55-year-old soda shop is a delight not for ice cream snobs, but for ice cream lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment