Thursday, September 27, 2012

Spicy Cake from Sweet Melissa

Okay, so this cake, you may be wondering. What is it?

I don't know. My mother bought it from Sweet Melissa for her own birthday. I provided the candle. It was the least I could do.


Here is what I can tell you about this cake:

The top layer is a really excellent chocolate glaze frosting. I mean top-notch. The frosting made the cake, for me.

The cake layer is chocolate but has some sort of spices in it. Cardamom? Allspice? I definitely liked the spice, but, then, I like spices, as a rule, so I am biased. The prominence of the spice certainly undermined the intensity of the chocolate. And the texture of the cake was, well, fine, but not awesome. Could have been denser. Moister. Something more textural.

Then there was a layer of apricot, which I could do without. If there is one Rule of Chocolate that David and I agree on, it's this: leave out the fruit jelly and spreads. Is this a chocolate cake, or an apricot cake? Let's keep the focus.

The bottom layer was like a thin chocolate meringue. Lovely. Added a nice bit of crunch.


BOTTOM LINE: This was a cake with a lot going on. I would recommend it to people who like some spice and some fruit, some diversity of flavor, but not to seriously hardcore dense chocolate fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment